Carnival of New Orleans
Hedonists around the world seek to New Orleans. Not surprisingly, the city designed for pleasure: exquisite French architecture pleases the eye, a rich cuisine of the American South seduces on gluttony and captivate the heart of romantic and vicious.
• New Orleans located in the South of USA in the state of Louisiana. The city was founded by the French adventurer Jean Baptiste by Lemoine, and the French in 1803 purchased. The French influence is felt here and now, especially in a strange neighborhood boring skyscrapers of downtown full of romance and the French quarters. After the transfer of U.S. cities, the local population and did not think to move elsewhere.
• Enterprising Europeans engaged in what could be done at home – began to open restaurants. Today, these restaurants in New Orleans more than a thousand, and they became one of the main attractions of this corner of America.
• & carnival there too, thanks to the French. They say it was first organized in 1827 by a group of students. Young people came back from Paris, where he’s trained, and organized before Lent masquerade costume, the same as they had seen there. And they called the carnival as it was called in Paris – Mardi Gras, which in French means “Fat Tuesday”. Innovation had the taste of the inhabitants of New Orleans, and in 1833, a rich plantation owner Bernard Xavier de Marigny de Mandeville gave a large sum of money for the annual observance of the holiday. Since 1839 the Mardi Gras parade takes place officially, and its distinguishing feature is a fundamental lack of the concept that makes Mardi Gras one of the most unpredictable carnivals in the world.
• Now Mardi Gras is, first and foremost, colorful parades with participation of the famous local jazz bands “The Batiste Brothers”, “Mahogany Brass Band”, “The Wild Magnolias Mardi Gras Indians”, “The Funky Meters”. Officially, Mardi Gras begins on January 6, the day of Epiphany Catholic. Here and there are small holiday, balls and parades, and slowly, increasing speed, these disparate carnivallike merge into a single boom. Especially colorful parade of Bacchus, which is held annually the Sunday before “fat Tuesday”. Each platform of this picturesque procession dedicated to “hussar” entertainment: drinking, women, Dating, cards, etc. With the passing of tuples in the crowd flying beads and medallions with the image of Bacchus, which invariably leads the audience in raptures. Collect as many beads on this day – a real sport, and each carries with carnival at least a bag of marbles, which are then lying around for years in the garages of residents of Louisiana.
• to Throw into a crowd of beads and coconuts – it’s a huge honor and privilege . you can only get the members of the special carnival organizations, “krewes”. They handle all the preparations for the carnival. “Krewes” reminiscent of some clubs for the elite or secret lodges. Many have already century-old history and traditions. Membership “krewes” anonymous and can be obtained only if you could get officially. In every such society is usually from 100 to 300 members. They pay dues and fees, which depend on the scale of organised activities. All contributions go to the costumes, parades, balls, dinners. A few weeks before the culmination of the carnival is the parade of the carnival societies. Participants marching through the French Quarter, throwing beads and aluminum doubloons in the cheering crowd. To any of the traditional ball-masquerades that are regularly held at Mardi Gras, you can only get with a personalized invitation: tickets for these events are not for sale.
• “talk of the town” Mardi Gras is a carnival in the French Quarter. Here, the carnival turns into a Paradise for voyeurs. Only “Vieux Carre” girls, for unknown reasons, become bare in exchange for cheap plastic beads which men hang about their necks. To get the most precious trophy of Mardi Gras – a coconut thrown from the train, at any cost, to attract the eyes of “throw”. On Bourbon Street, it is customary to plow blouse and pull up Mikey. And for rent, many of the “exhibitionists” crave not so much nuts and beads, but the minute attention of the crowd.
• Although the police and frown at the sight of holograph ladies, exhibicionista problems with the law here will not get any, because it is a peculiar tradition of Mardi Gras. Sometimes it’s like a psychosis: because where else beads in the modern woman can arouse the same enthusiasm as wenches, cook times? And where else can you ask a woman to show Breasts and not be afraid that you will sue for sexual harassment? However, bare female Breasts to Bourbon street, street strip casinos, is not unusual and no carnival. And actually, this territory carnival exhibitionism and limited. Nowhere else during Mardi Gras you naked people won’t see, and if you see, only in handcuffs.
• “Local”, in fact, for it and don’t like the hype around Mardi Gras. They are sad that the media make of this “uncovering” a sensation, and the whole world now believes that Mardi Gras is the mayhem that is happening on Bourbon Street. However, the TV shows only what they want to see the audience, and balconies of the French quarter sold these days already five years ahead. Rooms in hotels French quarter accommodations are reserved at the time of Mardi Gras in August. And hotels along the actual route of the parade are valued much less, because tourists sometimes just don’t know what the celebration on Bourbon Street is only a small and sometimes not the best part of the new Orleans carnival. And for those who want these days to see the real Mardi Gras, locals suggest that you come not in the French quarter and Garden District and St. Charles Avenue, between First Street and Napoleon. Moreover, note that even in “ordinary” the day of the holiday’s booked up already for 4 hours prior to the parade, and on the most colorful Sunday of Bacchus parade, which begins at 6 PM, the audience still come at 6 in the morning.
• this year the most memorable events of the carnival will be held from 21 February to 4 March, and in New Orleans are visited by millions of tourists from all over the world, those who again could not resist the many temptations of this town…